The weekend of November 21st through 23rd, 2014 was one that will be remembered by many as the start of what generations ahead will read about with curiosity and appreciation. What started as a vision from event producer, Bart Pals, to the fruition of the event being highlighted by the awarding of a $1,000 check, the Master’s Cup Poultry Show was a privilege to be a part of. Below is quick recap of the event – more pictures and stories will follow in future posts.
On Friday night Murray McMurray Hatchery hosted a social event at the hatchery that included a very rare treat of a hatchery tour.
One of the unique aspects of the social event was directed by emcee Ronnie Lopes of Bermuda as he shared some interesting characteristics of life in Bermuda.
Saturday morning kicked off with Murray McMurray Hatchery hosting over 150 students from various poultry enthusiast groups for tours and questions & answers with staff members. The students enjoyed the same detailed tour provided the night before to the poultry show participants. It was such a treat to have one of the students tell us, “My grandmother said to tell you hello and that she has been ordering chicks from you for 70 years!” Our thanks to the students and the adults accompanying them on their trip to the hatchery and throughout the show weekend.
At the show arena throughout Saturday, over 70 fowl were exhibited and judged by Steve
Jones and Conor Keegan. Poultry enthusiasts from more than eight states and territories were on hand to watch some of the highest quality of fowl being exhibited.
Saturday night was a time to celebrate the hard work and efforts of all involved, learn the winners of the show and share in wonderful stories of past. Murray McMurray Hatchery presented a formal dinner with catering by Hickory Park Restaurant in Ames, Iowa.
Winners of the day’s competition included:
1) Black Rosecomb pullet-Dr William Patterson-Oakland, MI
2) Light Brahma Standard-Pullet-Larry & Mark Peterson-Amboy, MN
3) White Call duck Cock-Wapsipinicon Waterfowl-Independence, IA
4) Black East Indie Cock-Lou Horton-West Chicago, IL
5) Black Australorp-Pullet-Paul Flemming-Emily, MN
6) Black Cochin-Pullet-Larry & Mark Peterson-Amboy, MN
7) Black Rosecomb-Cockerel-DR William Patterson-Oakland, MI
8) SC R.I. Red Standard-Cockerel-Adrian & MaryAnn Rademacher-Waconia, MN
9) Buff Orpington Standard-Cockerel-Dr William Paterson Oakland, MI
10) Black Ameraucana Standard-Cockerel-Max Strawn-Princeton, TX