Iowa State Student Chicken Coops

Last week I took a ride down to Ames, Iowa to see the creations of many students from photo8Iowa State University.  As reported on KCCI:

“Chicken coops designed by new architecture students at Iowa State University are on display.

The 20 coops, with names ranging from “The Griddle” to “Raise the Roost,” went on display Monday at the southeast lawn of the College of Design building. They will be there until Oct. 25.

More than 80 new majors in the professional architecture degree program participated photo6in the project, which involve coops that house between three and five chickens. Students had a little over two weeks to complete the project.

Students needed to research chicken care basics, conceptualize their designs, salvage or purchase materials, and manage a budget.

The coops will be auctioned at the Ames farmers market on Oct 26. Proceeds will reimburse costs and benefit the school’s chapter of the American Institute of Architects.”photo

These are some of the most unique coops I have seen and applaud the students in their creations!

photo 2 photo 1 photo 3 photo 4

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Iowa State Student Chicken Coops

1. TOM says:

MORE OF A QUESTION,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, HOW TO BUILD A PERFECT NEST FOR CHICKENS,,,,,,,,,,,,, MORE THAN ONE,,,,,,,,,,, ONE WITH A LOT OF VENTILATION / IN THE BOTTOM,,,,,,,,,,,,,, JUST ALLOWING SO THE EGGS WILL NOT FALL THRU

2. Mary Jans says:

I wish I could have seen these in person! Road trip! Maybe they will do something similar next year, after the successful auction. It would be a design advantage to make these so come apart for moving.

3. Paul Rothfuss says:

Absolutely wonderful. Is there any way to get the plans for the various buildngs and pens?

Thank you.

4. Joici says:

Wow, how exciting. Must have been fun being creative. I wish I only did a handful of birds but maybe the one with the shake roof would be good for our little ones moving through as they grow. Fun stuff. Thanks for sharing.

5. Darrel Hall says:

What kind of Architect wouldn’t even consider the clients needs first? These examples look like the students never asked the chicken farmer what he wanted. This looks like first year art student projects. This is the problem with colleges today – their classes are often a irrelevant waste of time and money.

6. Susan says:

I loved the photos of the event and hope that you could make it an annual competition. I agree that some larger coops would be fun to see. Students are so creative – keep it going!

7. Mary says:

These are wonderful. I also wish I could have seen the full display and had a chance to bid. We are just finishing our area for the chickens to wander in. Due to predators from above and below, we have been digging trenches around the chicken area and adding strong wire underground. We are looking forward to our eggs.

8. CHRIS KEES says:

THESE ARE NICE FOR A FEW BIRDS, BUT WE HAVE DOZENS. WE HARVEST THE EGGS, SELL, BUT DO NOT EAT THEM. I AM TOO TENDERHEARTED TO DO SO, AND BUY STUFF AT THE GROCERY STORE.
    HOWEVER, WE HAVE A LARGE EGG PRODUCTION WITH OUR FREE RANGE EGGS, AND SELL THEM TO OTHERS FOR 2 BUCKS A DOZEN, AND YOU TAKE WHAT YOU CAN GET. NO SPECIAL ORDERS, ETC. WE CAN HARDLY KEEP UP WITH THE DEMAND!

9. Tammy says:

These look interesting and some amazing! I would have loved to receive the email regarding their display dates and auctioning off of the chicken coops BEFORE the date they were to be done displaying and BEFORE they were auctioned off. Might have liked to attend the auction or just go see them.

10. Sally Emerich says:

I’m glad that my clucks can’t see these gorgeous coops….some with a sense of humor too. Will there be building plans on the offing?

11. Penny Jones says:

How absolutely cool!

12. Richard says:

Maybe they should change their majors to accounting

13. JOE says:

My girls would all have nervous breakdowns in accommodations such as these. Please give all these students “unsatisfactory” before they try to market them!

14. JULIE MOWERY says:

WOW,
    I THINK MY 5 HENS AND ROOSTER WOULD BE PROUD TO LIVE IN ANY ONE OF THESE CLASSY CHICKEN HOMES.

15. Dr. Shawver says:

Cluck about creativity!! Some very interesting ideas.

16. Terri Fletcher says:

All are fantastic designs. Would love to have all of them. GOOD job.

17. George says:

Great, innovative ideas! Keep-up the good work!

Comments are closed.